A little backstory is required for today's post. Some of you may (or may not) remember the movie Tremors (Kevin Bacon). What you might not know is that there were actually four movies AND a tv series on SciFi. I bet you can tell already that I'm a HUGE fan.
Anyhoo, I collected all four movies and wanted . . . no, craved and pined for the series to be released. I can't tell you exactly how long it's been-- at least five or six years since the series ran. And there were other Tremors nuts like me. I belong to a lot of horror/scifi type lists, and the discussion of "WHY WON'T THEY RELEASE THE SERIES?" popped up a lot. Finally, I gave up (and I'm assuming the others did, too, since I haven't heard any more discussions about it).
And then last night, I ended up in the Electronics department briefly. I sometimes cover the electronics break (someone has to since it involves keys), but I NEVER do on a Monday night (essentially, new releases are released at midnight on Monday's shift). Last night, the person covering the electronics break was working over in a department far away from electronics. So I, as the closest person to electronics, had to go over there and help customers from time to time. And what did I see as I was digging through a box, looking for "Precious"? TREMORS THE SERIES!!! Why, oh WHY didn't anyone tell me it was coming out?
Of course I bought it. I had to. Fate had intervened, and sent me over to paw through the new releases box for maybe the second time in the two years I've worked there on the very night that the series I've waited at least half a decade for was finally released!
And yes, I've been running around like a fool ever since. Half the store now knows about the release (as I bounded through the store with my purchase much like Steve Martin when the new phone books arrived-- a la, "The Jerk").
I'm not much of a movie/DVD person. I only watch a few shows on a regular basis. But some movies/TV series are "must haves."
So now I've got the complete "Tremors" collection.
For those of you unfamiliar with it, you're missing out. The original movie was good because it involved the sand-worm mythos (which is kind of like bigfoot-- it pops up all over the place). Movies two and three were good because they "evolved" the sandworms and focused more on Burt Gummer's character (he's my hero). The fourth movie was mediocre, as it traveled back to the days of the Old West. I didn't like it as much. But the series-- the series is where creativity soars. There's more to worry about in those hills than just some little old sandworms! And thank god the residents have Burt around to save them from all the dastardly critters (and PLANTS!!!) that crawl out of the woodwork!
You know, I picked up the first season of House this week (another of my "must haves") at a rock-bottom price, and I thought THAT was exciting-- this has totally eclipsed that.
If you haven't seen Tremors, do yourself a favor and at least rent movies 1-3. They're so much fun!
Burt quote:
(they're all stuck on a rock, trying to figure out a way to chase away the "graboid" circling them like a shark-- they decide to improvise some bombs)
Burt: "We can use long lengths of this cannon fuse to give us time."
"Canon fuse? What do you use that for?"
Burt (deadpan): "My cannon."
Another Burt quote:
The lights go dim as the creatures cut the power.
The lights roar back to life.
Burt: "Back up generator."
The lights dim again.
They roar back to life.
Burt smiles. "Back-up Back-up generator."