Thursday, March 25, 2010

I need to move . . .

So there is a local blog that has a list of other blogs that it is linked to. And they pretty much sum up the area I live in:

Most are dead (because there's so very little to do around here);
Those that are still alive are either
a)about hockey
b)about Christianity

And that pretty much sums this area up. If you don't like hockey and aren't a Christian . . . well, you're not going to have much to talk about with the locals.

I like living here because the country is so damn beautiful (if you've never seen the wind whisper through miles and miles of prairie grass, you're missing out) and the hunting is good (I may not be republican, but I LOVE my guns). But other than that--P.U! You can shop here. You can go to church here (and the two coincide--our stores don't open until noon on Sundays, by law, so that they don't interfere with church). You can go to the local art show put on by schoolchildren-- but other than that, there isn't much.

That's what makes this month and next such a delight for me-- there finally IS stuff going on. This month is the writer's conference (but not in the traditional sense; you won't meet editors from Doubleday here and pitch them your idea); and next month is the local Pow-wow. Little islands of "something to do" to tide me over until deer season in the fall.