Friday, March 19, 2010

Always read the fine print

This is a great example of why you should always read the fine print before signing up for something.

I belong to one of those "point earning" groups that lets you earn points by reading emails and filling out surveys. You can then turn the points in for gift cards to Amazon, Walmart, etc. It's a great program and I've been a member for years.

Lately, however, it seems like they've been getting stingier with the points. All the emails used to be: "read the email, click on the link, get 5 points; sign up for the offer that follows and get (between 250-5000) points." But lately, at least half (if not more) of the emails only offer the points if you sign up for the offer that follows (in other words, you don't get 5 points just for reading the email).

Worse yet, some of the sign-ups are really invasive. For example, I got one for a survey a few days ago. It sounds innocent enough: sign up with this organization that collects opinions, get points for every survey you complete. Sounds good, right? Especially since I love to share my opinion about everything, even when I'm not asked, lol. But then I read the fine print:

"(Company name omitted) is different from other online communities - we measure your behavior as well as your opinions. (Company name omitted) utilizes a piece of software stored on your computer that anonymously transmits aspects of your Internet browsing behavior so we can understand the sites, products and services you interact with. (Company name omitted) will only contact you regarding research -- we will NEVER send you SPAM or pop-up advertising."

So they want more than my opinion. They want to install software on my computer that will track me. But hey, at least they aren't going to send me spam. They'll track my every move and then sell my data to other companies that will send me spam, but at least they won't send me spam.

Needless to say, I didn't sign up. I don't even like toolbars and cookies and stuff because of the tracking potential. I'm certainly not going to volunteer for tracking.