Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Maybe I should call those guys from "TAP"

After my hubby's older dog died, I started letting the "puppy" (who's actually four years old) sleep in the bedroom from time to time because she's been so depressed over missing the older dog; a special treat, as neither dog was ever allowed in the bedroom before. One night, while my hubby was working a night shift, I woke up to her growling-- really scary, deep bass growling, totally unlike her. And when I sat up, she was staring up into the far corner of the bedroom, at the ceiling. Her hackles were up, and she had pressed herself into the opposite corner (as far away as she could get from where she was staring--and she's a German Shepherd). I was freaked out, but chalked it up to the "logical explanations" everyone gave (an owl landed on the house, a mouse was messing around in the crawl space, etc.).

Last night, it happened again while I was gone to work. It really freaked hubby out. Now, there's no access from the outside there--or anything to attract a mouse to that same spot again-- so what are the odds that a mouse would be in that EXACT same spot again (not to mention, any mouse would be stupid to get near my house-- I have several cats). Or, that the owl landed there again (we have a bunny living outside, but his burrow is on the far east side of the house, on the outside of the fence, a good forty feet away and around the corner from where my puppy was staring-- an owl wouldn't even be able to SEE the bunny there).

So what's freaking my dog out?

The only other "freaky-deaky" stuff that's ever went on is that one night a couple of years ago it sounded like something heavy walked across the roof from one end of the house to the other. It wasn't cold, so it wasn't the house settling. The mystery is that there aren't any trees nearby, so we're not sure how something (and this would have had to been a racoon-size something) could get up there and stomp across the roof. But, we chalked it up to "critters always find a way" and didn't think about it again.

Maybe my house needs an exorcism. I don't know how, since we're the first ones to live here (the house was a repo-- something happened and the original owners never even got to move in). But still-- ten years AFTER we move in, it gets haunted? I'm not even sure I believe in hauntings (haven't made up my mind about it yet). But maybe I should start wearing garlic to bed, just in case . . . or whatever scares away ghosts.