It’s funny how the muse works sometimes .
I had inspiration for a story, but since I was busy with other projects, I just jotted some notes and set it on the back burner. Two weeks later, I came across an anthology that the story would be perfect for. The focus was a little different, but the story could be worked to fit. The antho is holiday themed, and although the original story idea didn’t involve a holiday, there is a holiday that fits perfectly. So I sat down at my laptop and started to write. I ran the original idea up to 4000 words. But when I tried to write in something about the holiday, I ran up against a block.
For almost a month, I fought that block.
My hip was hurting yesterday, so rather than try and write at my laptop, I curled up in the floor with a notebook. And guess what? The block broke. The holiday is working in perfectly and I’m at 1500 new words and counting. The story will definitely end up over the 5000 ideal (and probably pare down to around 5000 in revision). Apparently, that part of the story just needed to be written in a notebook.
But that’s one of the things “they” suggest if you’re facing writer’s block: change your method of writing (paper vs. computer). And I guess it works!
So my muse is quirky, OCD, and petulant. She works best when I'm writing isolated, in a clean room (clutter freaks her out), with a Thunderstorm CD in the player. And occasionally she likes to mix it up by sprawling on the floor with an old-fashioned notebook.
Weirdo.