Saturday, February 20, 2010

And so it begins . . .

Okay, so I've been trying to get back into writing after a two year hiatus . . . I'll go into that some other day in another post. Anyhoo, it's really been tough. And even though I'm trying my best to meet my writing goals, I'm finding myself falling short on an alarmingly frequent basis. To try and get more in a writing frame of mind, I'm picking up blogging again (a variant, if you will, of the famous "Morning Pages" method a la Cameron).

First I went to my old blog at my web host. That whole thing doesn't really suit me anymore. So I tried out (at the suggestion of others) facespace and mybook. Boy, I must be old, because they were really confusing. Lots of pictures and icons and avatars, very little (or well-hidden) content, random strangers wanting to "friend" me (is there a prize for the most friends? Prom queen? Student council president?). So then I buzzed over to try and be a twit. First, I don't have enough time in the day to update everyone every 10 minutes. Second, there's no way I could explain myself in such a limited amount of characters (as is obvious from this post). Then I went back to a couple of other blog sites where I had made test accounts in past years. I was able to log into them both, but I'll be dogged if I could see what I'd done. I mean, I could access account settings, change the look of the blogs, subscribe to feeds, tag friends (again with the friends; enough already), but I couldn't find any place to "see" what I posted before (other than the url of the blog). In other words, I couldn't find the simple "preview" button that's easily found in this blog's control panel. So, I decided to stick with this one. It's the one I have my "professional" page set up in, and it seems to be the easiest to use.

So now I've got some place to do some daily (knock on wood) posting to get warmed up for each day's writing session. Hence the title: Chaos Theory. Some posts will be on my experiences as a writer trying to gain more pub credits (and fame and fortune, thank you very much); some posts will be on life in general (mine's a little weird, but aren't they all); some posts will be rants about stuff in the news . . . actually, a lot of posts will be rants . . . it's one of my favorite hobbies. And, of course, there will be links and other random junk that I come across. Perhaps "Windlistener's hodgepodge" would have been a better title. Then again, maybe not-- a hodgepodge sounds like something you put weed in to smoke.

Now let's just keep our fingers crossed that I'll be back regularly to post. Therein lies the rub.